Jan 24, 2010

New Year, New Job, More Money, More Problems

Let's see. Where do I begin?

Happy New Year! It's a couple of weeks late, I know, but I've been busy in the real world. Yes, I've been somewhat neglectful about this page as well as my main site for much of the year, but there's a perfectly good explanation behind that.

I've been working.

Readers of the sites knew that I spent much of the past three months as a substitute teacher, but lately, I've been doing real work for a friend of mine. Data input and all, but I also get to do design work. I'm designing professional logos for this company that will be seen on signs and vehicles around my area. Am I a little freaked out by that? Absolutely. But for the first time in my life, I'm actually making a living doing work that I strangely enjoy. I can also afford to pay a few bills, maybe upgrade down the line. Also, and this is a big problem, I don't have much time to work on my sites.

Strangely enough, I don't see any real problem with that. I'm not as angry about the way of the world as I was a decade ago, let alone a year ago. Scratch that. I'm not as obsessed about things as I used to be. I don't care about what Cartoon Network is doing. I used to think that I should, but to tell you the truth, if they want to completely fail by alienating their core mission and the audience that did stick by them, let them fail. I'm a grown man, and I shouldn't care so much about such things. Or rather, I refuse to let those things obsess my life.

It's bad for your health. Plus, I've done that.

I've been on the internet for about 15 years, a little under half my life. I spent nearly 12 years of that time on my two sites, The X Bridge (which launched in 1998) and Thoughtnami (which launched in 2004). I've met a lot of people online. I talked about a lot of things. I even collaborated with a major entertainment company and helped create a major cable network. But right now, I think I've done more than I ever imagined online. Now, it's time to take some talents beyond typed words on a screen to actual work in the real world.

That doesn't mean that I'm ending my sites. Not by a long shot. It's just that updates around these parts are going to be sparse at best. I may not have the cynicism and bile that has consumed me, but I still have something to say, and as long as I have outlets to express myself, I'm going to say them.

So, happy 2010. It's just getting interesting.

1 comment:

E.A. said...

Go where the money is, Jeff. You made a good choice, by focusing on making your living.

It's what I had to do, only I had to do it long before (fortunately?) you decided to!

I still enjoy reading your stuff, after all these years. You should be deemed a national treasure, dude, pretty soon!