Jul 4, 2007

Transformers, Chipmunks, and That JJ Abrams . . .

First of all, GO SEE TRANSFORMERS!!

Action, comedy, romance, intrigue, man, that completely blew away my expectations. Wonder why they couldn't do that kind of a movie back in the 80s? Oh, yeah, technology has advanced. I think you could do a movie like the original Toy Story on a home computer now. I didn't want Transformers to end, and there's going to be a sequel. So, if you haven't, GO SEE TRANSFORMERS!!!!! I'll review it in full on the main site in the coming days. Wait for it.

Second, when I left the movie, I saw a poster for the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie. Without seeing a scene, I can safely say "No." No, no, no, no, NO!! Not another ill-concieved cartoon-to-live-action project. As if Underdog was bad enough, now we have . . . okay, realistic-looking chipmunks wearing the trademark colors, but not the trademark attire. Alvin . . . in a hoodie. I'll say no more.

Third, that JJ Abrams-produced movie trailer was probably the best movie trailer I've seen since the original Spider-Man trailer back in 2001. Twenty-somethings throwing a party for a friend named Rob and sharing their thoughts on their friend via videotape. All of a sudden, a loud screech followed by what is thought to be an earthquake rocks the city, briefly causing a blackout. Moments later, a series of explosions is seen deep in the city, almost as if the explosion is alive. Chaos erupts in the streets and the rolling head of the Statue of Liberty is seen.

From Producer JJ Abrams. 1-18-08. End trailer.

What is this movie about? What is the title? Why can't I get it out of my head? That's how you promote yourself. Keep the audiences excited, curious, and, in the end, hanging. This is the most interesting theatrical promo I've seen in a long time, and I'm already getting ready for the long weekend (partially because my 30th birthday concludes it that Monday).

4 comments:

Ellen Yu said...

Happy Birthday!!! Hooray for July birthdays!

few4th said...

Transformers was great, but that JJ abrams trailer is what is really stuck in my mind. I'm so intrigued by that movie, whatever it ends up being about. Can't wait to see it.

Jeff Harris said...

Ellen -

No, my birthday isn't until January 21 (MLK Day) and that JJ Abrams movie comes out that weekend.

But my regular site, The X Bridge, turns nine on Tuesday. I like July birthdays too.

few4th -

No kidding. After seeing Transformers, I have a little more confidence that the CGI effects industry is only getting better. The Autobots and Decepticons were so lifelike, it almost made me think that some mad genius had perfected robotic technology. Kudos to ILM and making perhaps another Oscar-caliber production.

Speaking of mad geniuses, I was this close to putting an advance ticket order on that JJ Abrams movie, despite not knowing the title, the plot, nor who's in it. The trailer did what a lot of trailers fail to do . . . get people hooked on a movie sight unseen.

Ellen Yu said...

Oops my mistake! I guess your closer to a half-birthday for July lol.

Wow has it really been nine years?

Happy Birthday to the X Bridge site!

Hooray to Jeff who stayed with it for that long. May the site kick ass for many years to come.